Waking up and running first thing in the morning is one of life’s great little pleasures. Without much thought, I changed into my running gear, and hit the streets for a two mile run. The sun and the 90 degree heat are exhausting and I am hungry! Omelets and hash browns it is! Omelets are fun and easy to make. You can test your creative juices with omelets, adding as many ingredients as desired. This morning I chose to make an omelet with bell peppers and onions, topped with sharp cheddar cheese. Hash browns were the carb of choice. Yum!
I used Trader Joe’s Shredded Hash Browns. For crispy hash browns, follow these guidelines:
1. Warm 3 T of oil in a pan on medium to high heat.
2. Layer the shredded hash browns 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick and cover with lid for about 4 minutes.
3. Slide hash browns from a pan to a plate. Instead of flipping them with a spatula and messing up the hash browns, this method will keep the shredders together.
4. Add 3 T of oil to the pan and flip the hash browns over to another plate.
5. Once the uncooked side of the hash browns are side down, slide the hash browns back to the pan, cover, and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
6. Transfer to plate.
2 t of Vegetable Oil
1/8 Cup Red Bell Pepper Chopped
1/8 Cup Yellow Bell Pepper Chopped
1/8 Cup Yellow Onion Chopped
1 t Tony Chachere’s Seasoning
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Pepper
2 Eggs Whisked
1. Warm 1 t oil in small sauté pan over medium heat.
2. Sauté bell peppers and onions for about 2 minutes.
3. Add Tony Chachere’s, salt, and pepper.
4. Saute for 1 minute, transfer to plate, and set aside.
5. Heat 1 t oil over low to medium heat.
6. Add whisked eggs.
7. Cover with lid and allow eggs to cook for 1 minute.
6. Uncover, check eggs, and flip once majority of the bottom egg looks cooked.
7. Allow eggs to cook for another 30 seconds.
8. Add bell pepper and onion mixture on one side of the eggs and fold.
9. Transfer to plate and top it off with cheese.