My ability to plan and prepare pork chops, alongside my skill and confidence in cooking, has gradually increased since moving to Atlanta. When I discovered an amazing pork chop recipe last year, it was my first time ever cooking pork chops. It may have even been my first time eating a pork chop. Just kidding. However, my diet usually consists of Mediterranean style dishes… pizza and pastries. Cooking a pork chop was out of my element. Fortunately for my boyfriend, I love to cook. I especially love trying new recipes with different proteins, and this orange grilled pork chop happened to be one last week. The orange barbecue marmalade made this dish one heck of a recipe. I kept dinner simple and served it with grilled garlic asparagus, Basmati white rice, and a hearty side salad.
I altered the original recipe a bit by adding brown sugar and grilling it with an asian style barbecue sauce. I believe any kind of barbecue sauce would pair well with this dish. I also marinated the pork in the fridge for two hours instead of thirty minutes.
Let’s get started.
What you’ll need:
1. 4 (1 1/4-inch-thick) bone-in pork rib chops
2. 1/2 cup orange juice
3. 1T brown sugar
4. 2T soy sauce
5. 1/4t dried crushed red pepper
6. 1t salt
7. 3/4t black pepper
8. 1/4 cup sweet orange marmalade
9. 1/2 cup bottled barbecue sauce
10. 4 (1/4-inch-thick) orange slices
1. Pierce pork chops with a fork several times on each side. Combine pork chops and next 4 ingredients in a large shallow dish or large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Cover or seal, and chill for 30 minutes or 2 hours minutes.
2. Remove chops from marinade, discarding marinade. Sprinkle chops evenly with salt and black pepper.
3. Stir together marmalade and barbecue sauce in a small bowl. Brush one side of pork chops evenly with half of marmalade mixture.
4. Grill chops, marmalade mixture side up and covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 10 minutes. Turn pork chops, and brush evenly with remaining half of marmalade mixture. Grill 10 minutes or until done. Remove chops from grill, and let stand 5 minutes.
5. Grill orange slices, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat 1 minute on each side. Serve with pork chops.
For additional information, please see original recipe here.