What do you do with 5 pounds of granny smith apples? Every now and then, I’ll purchase a bag of apples from Costco to juice. I juiced more than half, ate a couple, and had to bake a few. I obviously love apples. I’m sure you’ve heard the saying “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”. Welp, I’m a firm believer in the power of eating healthy foods. I do have a great weakness for freshly baked goodies though! It’s awful. This Apple Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake is delicious. It consists of 6 layers of goodness. Layers of cinnamon, brown sugar, and chocolate chip streusel topped with chopped apples is irresistble. Mmm..
This recipe is fun and easy to make, and will be ready in no time for you to enjoy. I love it after breakfast with a cup of coffee. I try to eat my sweets and badass foods early in the day to try to burn it off throughout the day.
How will you be enjoying this yummy Apple Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake?
1 Cup plus 2t all-purpose flour, divided
2t Baking powder
3/4 Cup packed light brown sugar, divided
1/4 Cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 Cup chopped walnuts
2 Large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
1/2 Cup canola oil or Apple Sauce ( I used apple sauce)
2t Vanilla extract
2 Large apples or 3 medium apples (cored, peeled and chopped into small pieces)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 in. round baking pan or an 8 by 8 in. dish
2. Mix 1 cup flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Mix remaining 2t flour, brown sugar, chocolate chips, walnuts, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
4. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, granulated sugar, and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar. Add oil and vanilla.
5. Stir egg mixture (#4) into flour mixture (#2).
6. Pour half the batter into pan, top with half the apples, and half the crumb mixture (#3).
7. Repeat step #6.
8. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
9. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
10. Transfer to plate. Enjoy!
For additional information, please see original recipe here.